There are many types of website hosting services available today. These include Shared Servers, Virtual Private Servers, Cloud Servers, and Dedicated Servers.
Hosting plans based on Virtual Servers are the most popular since they offer a dedicated server-like hosting environment at a marginal cost.
When you buy VPS Server Hosting, it stores your website on a Virtual Server with account isolation, full root access, and dedicated resources.
In addition, you can choose between Windows and Linux VPS, HDD and SSD VPS, and Unmanaged and Managed VPS services based on your needs.
But how does the hosting company create these Virtual Servers? The answer is simple – it uses server virtualisation techniques for the same. This article will help you understand server virtualisation in VPS Hosting in India.
Understanding Server Virtualization
We have been aware of the virtualisation process since the early days of the computer entered our lives. On standard home computers, the disk drive used to be divided into C and D drives – one for storing OS and other program files and the other for storing user content and data.
A hosting provider uses server virtualisation tools like hypervisor software to create multiple Virtual Servers on a single web server offering dedicated resources, account isolation, and full root access to each Virtual Server.
It allows the host to offer websites a highly customisable and scalable web hosting service.
Advantages of Server Virtualization
Here are some advantages offered by server virtualisation:
- Server virtualisation allows the host to create partitions on the server for the optimum utilisation of resources. Hence, you can buy resources based on your site’s needs and scale them up whenever possible.
- A VPS Server offers a hosting environment similar to a dedicated hosting server. With a VPS, you can change the OS, install any third-party applications, and create a tailored environment for your site.
- A VPS Server functions optimally despite being on a shared server since account isolation and dedicated resources separate Virtual Servers giving your website a highly stable hosting environment.
- One of the most significant benefits of buying a VPS Hosting plan is that you can create a customised environment to boost the site’s performance. However, this requires some technical expertise. If you are not technically skilled, consider opting for a managed VPS hosting service where a technical team helps you with customisation tasks.
- Server virtualisation allows the host to offer account isolation and dedicated resources to all VPS users. Therefore, if one user needs extra resources, the performance of other users on the server is not impacted.
As you can see, server virtualisation is essential to allow VPS providers to create Virtual Servers and offer hosting services. Before buying a VPS Hosting plan, it is crucial to remember that different types of virtualisation tools are applicable online.
Hence, ensure that you understand each of these types and assess your site’s needs to find the best VPS Hosting. Good luck!